Wednesday, March 07, 2007

from the tropics to the desert




The minute we returned to Australia, we jumped back on another plane and headed for the west. We returned to Karalundi after four years.

It was quite an adjustment to go from PNG back to Outback Australia and I think it took some time for our heads to catch up to our bodies. It was definitely more of that ‘out of body’ experience that is a hard thing to get use to.

It was wonderful to see all our old students and friends and see how Karalundi had changed. There are lots more buildings and staff, but nice to see how big the kids have grown. I admit that it was also nice to hear the stories without having to be involved!

Madison was a true star and enjoyed being passed around from one to another. I think because he was everyone’s favourite in PNG it was just more of the same here. And he wasn’t scared of anyone as they are the same colour as his PNG friends!

Our old friends Kelman Patch (KP), Briohny Jackman and Bommer Finlay really loved meeting our new little addition. There were lots of questions about Kelly and Leah and I am sure it would have been exciting to see them too.

Steve and I had lots of great memories working at Karalundi. For Steve, he worked there for over six years, and for me – three. It was trying sometimes and certainly brought out the worst in me occasionally! But overall, an awesome experience and really helped me to develop some characteristics not otherwise developed if I hadn’t been stretched to the limit! It also prepared me significantly for Papua New Guinea. What an excellent training ground…

Above: Madison with Bommer, KP and the Ashwin Clan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your thoughtful and positive words and taking the time to comment. Love Kymmie. xx