Tuesday, August 13, 2013

EAT: APRICOT CHOC CHIP CAKE.

SERVES 20 | PREP 20 MINS + 1 HR STANDING TIME | COOKING 60 MINS | VEGETARIAN

You know what's great about this cake? It's like a family heirloom. My Aunty Pam passed it down to my cousin Brooke, who then shared it on Instagram. As soon as I saw it, I begged for the recipe. Brooke says that she always adds more nectar and choc chips. I've made it three times already, and she's right. I've included more choc chips and apricot nectar below to make this a truly decadent experience! Thanks Brooke and Aunty Pam for letting me share this here!


INGREDIENTS
1 cup chopped dried apricots
1 - 1 1/4 cups apricot nectar (I use the whole small tin)
125g (1/2 cup) butter
2/3 cup raw sugar
2 eggs, separated
1 1/2 cups coconut
1 1/2 cups self raising flour
3/4 cup milk choc bits

METHOD
1 Grease deep 20cm cake tin (I've used a round and square pan, and they both worked out fine).
2 Combine apricots and nectar in bowl, stand for one hour.
3 Cream butter and sugar in small bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks one at a time, beat until combined. Stir in coconut, then 1/2 sifted flour and 1/2 apricot mixture. Stir in remaining flour and apricots, then choc bits.
4 Beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold into mixture, spread into prepared pan.
5 Bake in a moderate oven (180 degrees celcius or 356 degrees farenheit) for about 1 hour. I use a fan forced oven, and like to take my cakes out just before the skewer comes out dry. Stand for ten minutes before turning onto wire rack to cool. Dust with icing sugar if desired.

Thanks for stopping in today!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your thoughtful and positive words and taking the time to comment. Love Kymmie. xx