Sunday, August 29, 2010

20th silly thing | why didn't i wait just a little bit longer?


This morning my brother Stephen and his gorgeous wife Lee announced the arrival of their first child - a son. Skype is the best invention ever, since I was able to talk to Lee during the labour (don't worry, she'd just had an epidural and was very relaxed), and also see the end result just a few hours later. What bliss!

Although looking at him was a close second to actually holding him (they live in the US, I live in Australia), but I was still over the moon with excitement.

And so prepared. I've known for a while this baby was coming, that it was a boy, and what his name was. So I was proactive.
  1. Purchased baby bunting (check),
  2. Made baby memory book (check),
  3. Arranged for my very talented friend at Tildys to hand stamp the above delightful baby spoon and fork set (check).

It was all package up and ready to go, hoping to arrive not long much after the baby.

There was only one problem. I'd been too efficient. (Actually, my husband tells me this often.)

Lee was overdue. So overdue in fact that the birth of her baby coincided with her father's birthday. So they changed his middle name in honour of the birthday boy.

Ryan Keith is now his name. Not Ryan James as listed on the baby utensils.

And now you can visualise me poking that fork into my forehead and banging the spoon against my temple...

5 comments:

  1. Firstly CONGRATULATIONS on the safe arrival of your nephew! Then, I can imagine you poking that fork into your head!! LOL!! Some things are better to not know in advance. It will be one of those gifts that will have great significance in the future and have a wonderful story behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh congrats on being an aunty again. Bummer about the fork and spoon, maybe you can get it done again and send them both versions. They will probably think it's funny and you would hate the current ones to go to waste.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Dannii, Jodi was so sweet to offer me another set with the correct name, and it wasn't even her fault. She's so gorgeous! Another friend suggested that perhaps they have another child and call it James, that way the spoons can be for both children! I might not mention it to the new parents just yet... I think they're still getting over this birth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, and Oh Bugger! I would send it anyway as it will make for a great laugh. And shows how organised you are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Kym, I had to laugh! That was definitely a case of being far too organised for your own good. It's a funny story for down the track though...like the fact that the day Sam was born Mike left a message on a friend's answering machine saying we'd had a baby and we'd called him Benjamin. Benjamin? That was never on our list! It was hilarious :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your thoughtful and positive words and taking the time to comment. Love Kymmie. xx