Wednesday, November 09, 2011

EAT: ZUCCHINI CAKE WITH LEMON HONEY DRIZZLE


SERVES 10-12 | PREP 15 MINS | COOKING 50 MINS | VEGETARIAN, DAIRY FREE

In a recent bake-a-thon, I thought I'd try this seeing I had zucchinis that had to be eaten. Sometimes the most disgusting sounding recipes turn out quite moist and tasty. Definitely a more heavy cake, but filling and filled with goodness! I dropped the sugar level and it was still sweet enough (mind you, I'm not eating sugar, so anything 'a bit' sweet is really sweet to me!). I love the drizzle on the top. Made this moist cake even more tasty!

Hubby loves this with cream, but I had mine with cashew cream. Delish!

INGREDIENTS
70g walnuts (I used pecans)
100g dates
210g zucchini, roughly chopped
100g sultanas
2 eggs
110g oil
150g raw sugar
cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
210 self raising flour

METHOD
1 Preheat oven to 170 degrees celcius and lightly grease a cake tin.
2 Place nuts into food processor until finely ground. Set aside.
3 Place dates into food processor until a chunky paste. Add to bowl with nuts.
4 Place zucchini into food processor until finely grated and add to the bowl.
5 Mix into the bowl the remaining ingredients until mixed well.
6 Pour cake mix into prepared tin and place in the oven for 40 minutes or until golden brown.

While still warm, pierce the cake with a skewer and pour a mixture of 1/2 oil (I use grapeseed), lemon peel and juice from one lemon and honey.