Saturday, March 19, 2011

fancy pants


With the show Mad Men encouraging a fifties revival of sorts, my fellow foodies and I were abuzz with excitement. Our theme this month? The Fabulous Fifties. We all made food which was popular in this decade including salads in jelly moulds and layered fish casseroles, and the main event: Julia Childs' recipes like potage celestine and baked cucumbers. (According to our tastebuds and the movie Julie & Julia, they are a "revelation"!)

And to make it more fun we dressed up. Cardigans, flipped hairdos, pearls, headbands and flouncy skirts. We all admitted that we had spent quite a bit of time researching what food was eaten in the fifties. Me? I spent far too long looking at 50s outfits, and how they put it all together. The fashions were just fabulous!

 

We even had a little fun reading up on 1950s good wife etiquette, just to realise how much has changed in the past 55 years. For the better? Or not?



 

While most of us wore red lipstick, others wore headbands or pearls. I confess my favourite outfit was fellow foodie and friend, Rachael. She wore authentic 50s gear - her mother's. And even though Rach could hardly breathe while wearing it, I think her mother had fabulous taste. Maybe it was because she was the host looking all domesticated, or just that she pulled off the whole look the best. (You can see a picture of Rachael at Food Club night here.)
 

And just because I'm loving the sunset in this shot...


All I need now is to be a little gay, pop on an apron and I'm all set. Hang on a minute, I just need to go and freshen up... hubby will be home in a minute.
 
Is your wardrobe inspired by the fifties, or do you feel like you were just born in the wrong generation?

All you have to do is follow me, add your Fancy Pants post below and add a link back to me in your post. You can also include the lovely button (below)Then pop over to visit other bloggers who are dressing up this week. As for me, I can't wait to see what you've put together (and what excuse you had to dress up).

Kymmie wears: DRESS, Very Very! (purchased ten years ago - and it fits again, almost!). SHOES, Zu. NECKLACE (worn as bracelet), Equip ($3). LIPLINER, Avon Ultra Luxury in True Red. LIPSTICK, Avon Ultra Color Rich in Red 2000.


a day in the life of us