Tuesday, August 30, 2011

do you think our society values mothers?



It's happened. I've flipped. And I've decided I've got to say something.

I'm not usually one to go off half cocked, but it's time.

I've heard it and read it over and over again. And I'm tired of it. It's all the talk about how our society doesn't value mothers.

Pardon? Did I hear right?

Perhaps I have spent too much time living in developing countries to feel that we might be misled a tad? Because where we live in Australia, our government pays a bonus sum (no longer in lump sum, damnit) just for having a baby. It now gives us time off work with pay, and if you are on a low income, the government provides a fortnightly top up. For a very long time.

Sure, it's not perfect. But it's something right?

And if that wasn't bad enough...since when did we bother to care about what society said was good for us anyway?

After all, this is the same society that we live in that encourages size zero, and to idolise youth and outer beauty.

Not enough emphasis is placed on emotional intelligence, inside beauty, treating our neighbour the same as how we'd like to be treated, and we just don't seem to respect the elderly like we should. And that is just the beginning.

We spend a lot of our time wishing we were someone else doing something better, or being thinner, had better hair, less wrinkles, less freckles, more money, less cellulite.

What does that say about our society?

From me, you will never hear me utter those words, "Not enough importance is placed on being a mother."

Because as far as I'm concerned, if my kids think that what I'm doing matters and I know what I'm doing is important, then I don't care what anyone else thinks.

How about you?