Thursday, September 23, 2010

q is for questioning

Questioning: Encourage your children to question why and to understand why things are as they are.


My first response to this is... do I have to encourage questions?

Because I don't think I've encouraged it much and I'm bombarded every day with hundreds - no - thousands of questions. And only one of my children talk so far.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate every question.

Really. I. Do.

But I don't know the answers to half the questions that are asked. Often I'm dumbfounded. I find that my answer (a lot) is "I don't know", or "that's a very good question" (which can buy a heap of thinking time).


I suppose whether we encourage it or not, there are lots of questions to get through, and I need to spend far more time researching a good enough answer. You know, one that is wise and all-knowing.

And I never want to be like that TV advert where the Dad tells his son that the Great Wall was built to stop all the rabbits...

Thank goodness for Google. My new best friend.

The A-Z of Parenting Tips were inspired by this article in the Courier Mail.