Thursday, February 10, 2011

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU ACTUALLY SAT IN YOUR FORMAL LOUNGE?


Four years ago we bought our dream house. It's a Victorian and over a hundred years old. It has 12-foot ceilings and ceiling roses. Each room is a different colour (all the gorgeous traditional ones) and it has baltic floorboards. When we first saw it on sale, we only looked through it because it was so amazing on the real estate website. But it was way out of our price range.

But after our first tour, we couldn't stop thinking about it. And by our second tour, we were hooked.

And they took our low offer. A miracle really.

We've made some changes, but there's still some more renovating to go. But the bits that don't need to be fixed are so inviting. And as we have saved a bit of money, we've purchased small things piece by piece to make it more homely and cozy. The formal lounge and master bedroom are havens just waiting to be enjoyed.

And if you've been visiting this blog for a little while, you may have suspected that I love the odd pile of books. And they're in every living space. Magazines waiting to be browsed, my monthly subscription, books I want to read, coffee table books that long to be opened.

But do I ever get to sit there and just read?

Never.

But last week as I walked past the havens in my home (taking out the rubbish, what else?), I decided enough was enough. It was time to enjoy those spaces more. Be still. Read. Sleep. Enjoy.

This week I did it. Several times actually. I've even been resting for short spurts (nanna nap, anyone?) while the boys had their quiet time. And kinder is a Godsend. I'm loving the extra quiet space already.

So, am I going to try and do this every week? Oh yes.

What about you? What new thing have you done this week?

And if you're not inspired, here are a few suggestions: taking a different route on your morning walk, trying a new recipe, wearing a new coloured top, trying a new nailpolish, trying a new routine with the kids (including a different packed lunch), going to a new playground, going out for a picnic, a random act of kindness, or responding differently to the same situation.

There. Did that help? Now amaze me with your new stuff (even if it is getting your eyebrows waxed for the first time - yes, this one's coming up). I can't wait to see what you've been up to this week. Oh, and remember to linky up and share the love.
a day in the life of us