Thursday, September 22, 2011

SUGAR. AND NOT EATING IT.


It was my mum's birthday last week, and I had the perfect gift for her. You see, she loves sugar. And she'll be the first to admit that's she a sugarholic. (Or is that chocoholic?) Either way, she's a sweet tooth.

But no, I didn't buy her chocolate. In fact I was thinking of a book called The Sweet Poison Quit Plan. I knew she would love it. In fact, I was so interested in it, I wanted a copy too.

So I read it. In two sittings. I couldn't put it down. It was so interesting.

One tends to shut off when you hear for the millionth time that too much sugar is bad for you. But I'd never considered it poisonous. My motto is 'everything in moderation'. But most people don't know what moderation is. Turns out I don't either, as I eat far too much sugar.

So after reading the book, I decided right then and there I was going to try this theory. So, cold turkey, I stopped eating sugar that day.

It was a challenge, because it's hidden everywhere - even in my soy milk.

By the end of the first day I had a whopping headache. Sugar withdrawal apparently (it was mentioned in the book).

On the second day, nothing could stop my hunger. I was famished.

But by third day my stomach was no longer bloated, and I had no desire to eat sugar. Plus I realised that I felt fuller quicker. My body was no longer blocking my hunger signals (yes, sugar does that).

The fourth day had my skin looking clearer than it has for a very long time.

By the fifth day I noticed an obvious reduction in the cellulite on my legs (yes, instant results!).

And without trying, I have lost two kilograms. I haven't changed a thing. Except cut out sugar.

Here are some facts from the book:
  • Sugar was once such a rare resource that nature decided we didn’t need an off-switch – in other words, we can keep eating sugar without feeling full.
  • In the space of 150 years, we have gone from eating no added sugar to more than a kilogram a week.
  • You would need to run 7 km every day of your life just to not put on weight as a result of eating that much sugar.
  • Two decades ago 1 in 14 adult Australians were obese; that figure is now 1 in 5.
  • The ‘natural’ sugar in one glass of unsweetened fruit juice per day for a year is enough to add just over 2.5kg your waistline.
  • The more sugar we eat, the more we want. Food manufacturers exploit our sugar addiction by lacing it through ‘non-sweet’ products, such as bread, sauces, soups and cereals.
Today, I made a chocolate and almond flourless cake which I reduced the sugar to half a cup. After just one slice, guess what? I had a headache. (Too much sugar!) I also didn't enjoy it one bit. This has been a reality check, and I because of this book, I'm onto something. And I couldn't recommend the book higher.

Could you go cold turkey and not eat any sugar?

Have you tried something new this week? It might be as major as cutting out a whole item of food in your pantry, or as small as eating a smaller slice of cake.

Why don't you join in? All you have to do is follow me, add your Try Something New post below and add a link back to me in your post. You can also include the lovely button (below). Then pop over to visit other bloggers who have done something new this week.


a day in the life of us