Sunday, April 21, 2013

FANCY PANTS [RACING OUT THE DOOR]


If miracles don't exist, then why is it that today I had the best sleep in a girl could ever ask for? Perhaps my husband is an angel (or perhaps I was a complete ogre). But he fed the kids breakfast and I slept in until 9am. It was glorious!

Then my ogre-self encouraged my husband to take the kids out so I could have a little kid-break. Which he did. I can't remember now, but I might have mentioned Father Of The Year in the same sentence. And off they went.

In the silence, I wondered how I was going to spend one glorious hour alone. It took no more than a minute to mull over the possibilities, and staying home in my jammies was not one of them. The sun was shining and I didn't want to waste it. After all, it's a day where I can actually do my hair and not hide the mess under a baseball cap.

So, in the shower I raced, and then threw on some clothes so I could be one with the outdoors. There was a farmer's market to peek at, windows to stare through, people to watch, a soy chai latte in a cafe somewhere with my name on it and the weekend paper to be read (hence the reading glasses).


So, I was out the door in ten minutes flat. That gave me almost an hour of window shopping, people watching, enjoying the loveliest chai I ever had an opportunity to sip, and reading some fascinating stories in the weekend extra. When I returned home, I felt so rested, more human, and then did the same for my husband. He then enjoyed trawling through a few secondhand bookshops and came back with a pile of new reading. While I love that we can give each other the break we need, it would be nice to do these things together. Soon. Soon.

The jury is in: today was good. Oh, and those bluestones in the background? They're going to build something beautiful in the very near future.


How good at you at throwing something on so that you don't miss out on life? How do you spend those rare moments when you are child-free? Do you take turns like we do?

LONG SLEEVED TUNIC + LONG SLEEVED TEE + PONTE PANTS, Witchery.
BOOTS, Betts.
NECKLACE, Eb & Ive.
GLASSES, Specsavers.
RINGS, Irish market + personalised ring from Tildys.
SCARF, Pash.
SATCHEL, Thrifted.

a day in the life of us

12 comments:

  1. When I saw the first photo I thought you looked like you were on a mission, and I was right! So pleased you had such a great day, and your husband too. And yes, we take turns too. Sometimes that's just how it is. Love the bluestones, have a lovely week xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly! I don't want to wish my life away, but look forward to lazy coffee dates WITH my husband! Glad to know I'm not the only one! X

      Delete
  2. every once in a while I sleep until 9am and it is amazing! Love your look today - so casual and comfy but super cute :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Three cheers for sleep-ins! Of course, I slept terribly last night. But I felt fabulous for that one day!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by! This tunic has been worn so much that it's getting holes in it! I keep stitching them up though ;) x

      Delete
  4. Child free? Hmm not sure what you mean y this statement? I don't even get to go to the loo on my own. But I am ok with my little shadow always being beside me. You look as if you enjoyed yourself

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I know what you mean! Good grief. It's shocking how little space we have when we become mothers. Time alone is so rare, so I do cherish these moments. Because that's all they are! x

      Delete
  5. I can be ready to go somewhere in 15mins if required, less if I've had a shower. Yay for seizing the day. Living in the money at its best. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot - I've been eyeing of grey boots for a month. You just convinced me to buy some. :D love them!

      Delete
    2. Good work Vicky! You won't be sorry. They're the perfect winter accessory and work brilliantly with jeggings or ponte pants (and a long top with layers)!

      Delete
  6. A sleep-in, some family time and some alone time... sounds like the perfect day! x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your thoughtful and positive words and taking the time to comment. Love Kymmie. xx