Wednesday, April 17, 2013

WHAT'S IN YOUR LUNCHBOX?

Clockwise from main compartment: macadamia + pesto pasta salad with parmesan | grapes | apple sauce + carrot sticks | chicken crimpy biscuits | assorted non-gelatine jellies.

Clockwise from main compartment: cheese + sauce sandwich (because, why not?) | strawberries + blueberries | apricot + choc chip cake (oh my!) | BBQ rice snacks | mini easter eggs.

Clockwise from main compartment: tomato + mayo toasted muffin | seedless grapes | date + LSA breakfast muffin | yoghurt + honey | Babybel cheese with rice snacks | mini easter eggs.

Clockwise from main compartment: noodles with tuna, tomato + cheese | sliced nectarines | apple sauce with sour cream rice crisps | candy cane | pretzels.

Clockwise from main compartment: Tuna, tomato + mayo on sourdough | grapes | apricot + choc chip cake | sliced cucumber| cheese stick | marshmallow.


For Christmas my lads received a Planetbox each. And they love them. Weeks after Christmas, they were carrying them around, over their shoulders like a stylish accessory. It took a while for me to get use to smaller portions and more compartments, but now I love it!

All it takes is a different mind set. Nowadays, I focus on the food pyramid and start with the fresh foods first: one serving each of fruit and vegetables, some dairy/protein/calcium, a main event, and a special treat. Before the adjustment, it took a while to fill all the spaces, but now all the healthy options are thought about first, there's never any room for all the things I imagined I'd put in there! I'm sure perhaps I could do better, healthwise (we all could, couldn't we?), but I want my kids to be excited by their lunch too.

And I think they are. Because lunch is always checked before they shut their lunchboxes. "Looks good, Mum!" my eldest usually says.

The telltale sign? A completely empty lunchbox at the end of the school day.

What have you packed in your lunchbox recently?

2 comments:

  1. Kymmie, i love these lunchboxes...I hope they weren't uber expensive because I'm going to buy some pronto (Even one for me)...I love what you pack your boys to eat too...we get creative and try to provide healthy but fun options. I don't buy pre-packaged snacks, and do a big bake of cookies or slice that gets frozen for lunchbox treats!! Hope you're having a wonderful week xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brenda! I'm so excited that you're going to get these lunchboxes too! It took me two years to purchase them - basically because I went searching for anything that might be better. There is nothing. They are expensive (around $35 each), and postage is $40 (sorry, not a typo!) so if you buy three or four it will be worth your while! Plus they should last FOREVER! Let me know what you think!!! Xxx

      Delete

Thank you for your thoughtful and positive words and taking the time to comment. Love Kymmie. xx