Thursday, July 21, 2011

WHEN I MADE A PROMISE TO MY MOTHER.


At around the same time as Brooke Shields was setting a new fashion for eyebrows, I was fascinated with my mother's make up routine.

One particularly memorable day, I sat on my mother's waterbed watching every detail.

"Mum, whach'ya doing?"

"I'm plucking my eyebrows."

"Why?"

"Well, in my younger days, I plucked them so much that they didn't grow back. What little I now have, I need to shape. I really regret plucking them so much."

"Oh."

"But you needn't touch your eyebrows as they are PERFECT. So promise me, NEVER EVER pluck your eyebrows."

"Okay, I promise."

You know what? I kept that promise right up until the ripe age of 29. That is, until the week before my wedding when my matron of honour and I had a conversation that went a little bit like this...

"So, as part of your pre-wedding beauty routine, are you going to do something with those eyebrows?"

"Um... what's wrong with them?"

"You've got hair growing in the middle, and they're really thick and unruly."

"Oh, really? I hadn't noticed. Plus I've never touched them. I promised my Mum."

"Let's make an appointment IMMEDIATELY."

And so we did. As a result, my forehead and eye area was burning hot and red for a whole day. It was horrible. (But I did have lovely eyebrows for my Big Day.) Since then... well, I think I've waxed my brows two more times.

Meh.

But there's nothing like an impending film shoot that gets me worried about a whole bunch of things that I never normally care about. 

Should I wax my eyebrows? Should I colour my hair? Should I get my teeth whitened? Should I lose 18 kilograms?

See? Totally ridiculous.

While I didn't do the other things, I did have my eyebrows waxed. It didn't hurt as much as the first (or second) time. And they actually looked a little awesome (if you don't mind me saying so).


How about you? Have you had a little beauty care lately, or tried something entirely different this week?

Why don't you join in? All you have to do is follow me, add your Try Something New post below and add a link back to me in your post. You can also include the lovely button (below)Then pop over to visit other bloggers who have done something new this week.

a day in the life of us