Friday, March 05, 2010

i love the night life


It's been weeks since I updated my blog.

Okay, it's been months.

And, like my sleep, I keep thinking I'm going to 'catch up'. You know, put up pictures from the past few months, put up a bit of writing, journal a little. But then the job gets bigger and bigger, and then I'm overwhelmed.

Hmmmm, overwhelmed. I certainly feel that a lot lately. I can't keep up with the mess mostly. The kitchen mainly. And the toys. The floors. The washing. The work I get paid to do. Okay, there is a lot of things I'm swamped with right now.

I blame it on being nocturnal. I love the night life, I love to boogey... Except I'm not boogeying. It's the kids.

Madison has been waking throughout the night since January with screaming and bad dreams. Then there's Noah who insists that 3 square meals (and 5 breastfeeds) a day just isn't enough. Then, afterwards when I'm back in bed my mind is running so fast, I can't sleep. But I try, oh I try. And then when it's almost time to wake up, I'm finally falling asleep.

But tonight I gave up on trying to sleep. After my second wake up call, I called it quits on sleeping. I decided to do something productive with my early morning. Like get on Facebook, update my blog, do the banking, look at all those websites I've been meaning to check out, clean that kitchen mess (quietly of course).

And now, here it is 6:30am and I've just had my 3rd wake up call. Except I'm already awake.

Madison needs to go to the toilet. And because he had barely any dinner last night, he's hungry. So, in the dark we sit in the kitchen eating weetbix together. And perhaps because there's not another sound about and I'm a bit slow, I actually sit and marvel at his wonderfulness. He's singing to me his newest made up song, actually two. And he's telling me something that I can't believe he's remembered.

And now I'm thinking, I'm glad I was awake. If I'd been sleeping I might have been too grumpy to actually enjoy this moment. I might have been pushing for him to go to bed the minute he'd wiped. But as I sat there, I watched his lovely face as he talked to me. His big brown eyes twinkling with laughter, his little lisp, and the way he jumbles up his words to make very, very long sentences.

Perhaps I do love the night life after all...

12 comments:

  1. Hi Kym!

    Great blog entry, it was very nice to read. I will remember that when my kids wake me up, those lone moments at crazy hours can be quite amazing. I was looking at some photos of you guys, all look great and your house with the renovations looks really nice.
    All the best.
    Raul, Gisela, Emily and Mathias

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post Kym. I remember doing the same. Your energy will come back - maybe in a few years! Actually, I don't think you will be kept down for too long. Once you get your nights back your bubbles will come back to!
    Take care,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel your pain!!! I also agree it is sometimes easier to use those ridiculously early starts to get stuff done. Probably why my laptop sits by my feeding chair. It sometimes feels like a conspiracy against you getting any sleep, like they are conspiring during the day on their nocturnal plans. Hang in there and hugs to you. But it was great to see a blog update!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for sharing Kym! You and I are so similar.

    It's moment like these we really need to cherish! Thanks for reminding me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post. I'm an insomniac WAHM who rarely gets to bed before midnight. Mr3 has taken to waking at around 2am every night. It's not pretty when I rely on a straight run from 12-7am. I hope it passes soon! Thanks for linking up today. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope the sleep is better now than when you wrote this. We had 18 months of no sleep hell so I know what it is like. All I can say is when it does end, you still expect the non sleeping days to come back!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Things are much better now... of course, a full night's sleep is not guaranteed every night of course. That comes with the territory hey?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh and Pink Fibro, I'm hearing you about juggling kids and work at home. It comes with a whole set of new problems!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I so often sit down and catch up on bloggy things at 3 in the morning while waiting to see if everyone has gone back to bed, because I know if I go to sleep only to be woken 2 minutes later I will be grumpy. Nice to know I'm not the only one awake in the world :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am a night owl too. It totally doesn't work when you lose control of your own sleeping hours! Bloody kids! I hope things are going better for you now :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ahh I love this post! So true and so beautiful.. it can be so trying but the rewards are in those quiet moments we can so easily miss..

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your thoughtful and positive words and taking the time to comment. Love Kymmie. xx