Wednesday, May 12, 2010

GETTING OUT OF THE MUMMY UNIFORM.

dress up: v. put on special clothes to appear particularly appealing and attractive.
As a mum, I have a uniform. It consists mostly of jeans, tshirts and flat shoes. And on those extra comfy days, possibly a pair of trackie dacks (with paint on them, as they're the only variety I own). No make up, and if we're lucky hair may be looked at (but most likely not done).

You may not know this, but I have one of those paid job thingies. It also happens that I am one of the luckiest employees around. I get to wear track pants when I go to work.

That's because I work mainly from home. Of course, there's an expectation that I go into the office occasionally, which I usually do.

Just not in the past three months. (Did I mention that you should also never to take this sort of job for granted?) When I had one child, my awesome in-laws (more about them later) looked after Madison for a day while I went into the real office (as opposed to the home office). Then I worked my other two days at home in blocks throughout the rest of the week. Then I had Noah. Madison still went to Grandma and Grandpa's for a day, while I took my seven week old into work. I did that for 8 months. (Did I mention how awesome my bosses are?)

Once Noah became too verbal and mobile, you can imagine why I haven't taken him in for an 8-hour work day recently. And while I've loved having the flexibility of being at home with my kids every moment of the day, there's something special about having Dress Up Day.

It's kind of like when you were a kid when you chose your clothes carefully, and paraded around feeling all pretty. (Except now your clothes shouldn't be squished in a dress up box - okay, mine are squished in a laundry basket at times...)

To me, Dress Up days should include: no children, no pooey nappy remnants on your good clothes, no dribbles on your shoulders, vomits down your front (or on the floor), food on your sleeves, no funny smells noticed while making a phone call, finishing every conversation, and focusing on just a handful of things which entail just the job at hand. (I don't expect much, do I?) Plus a pretty scarf, skirt, boots, make up and hair fully done.

Today my wish came completely true. I went back to work today for the first time in 11 months.

Without any children.

6 comments:

  1. Kymmie... i may not have any children however my work place is as equally laid back and casual as yours sounds and let me tell you... once the weekend comes rolling around i get VERY Excited for all the clothes that i can wear now that i dont waste them on WORK! i literally wear gross old ugly clothes all wk without any make up and then on the wkend i am transformed and i gain some sort of self confidence back. haha... im am so with you on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whenever I see you, you always look stunning...dressed up or not...I don't think you need to try very hard to look great but it does feel nice for yourself to know you have put effort in :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is this you in the photo, you look so professional!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susie, yes this photo is of me! I don't think I scrub up too badly!

    Jodi, you're too sweet to say, but I honestly don't think that at all!

    Kell, I think to truly appreciate feeling pretty, one must feel very daggy all week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK I am going to admit to being jealous of how great you look!! Me, hmmm, not so much!! Age is taking its toll, as is stress!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stress will take it's toll on anyone who has 5 children! Hats off to you Janine. You are amazing! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your thoughtful and positive words and taking the time to comment. Love Kymmie. xx