Saturday, May 22, 2010

BOY.

love n. A deep, tender, ineffable feeling of affection and solicitude toward a person, such as that arising from kinship.


Tomorrow my baby turns 1. And apart from the fact that this past year has sped by quicker than the speed of light, it's been so wonderful.

Although I wish that it hadn't been such a blur.

Having a second child is so different from the first. The first-born is looked at, adored, played with, and there's lots of time to stop and wonder at this lovely creation that you and your partner have made.

The second born just fits in. There's time for a quick cuddle or feed before you're running after the first born who has decided he's not getting enough attention. It's amazing what you can do while you've got a baby at your breast. I had no idea of the possibilities the first time round.

That being said, I've made time for cuddles and in those first few months, I watched my baby carefully, even writing in a diary to make sure I remembered things. So glad I did. Because I've already forgotten so much.

And knowing how the second child usually doesn't have as many photos taken, I've done my best to ensure there's as many, if not more, than the first.

But no matter how much I've tried to slow things down and remember the moments, we move at such a mad pace just to keep up the maintenance. How much I've tried to re-think how I do things to make more space for enjoyment, for playing, and for adoring.

And there seems to be no way around it.

So here we are. Another year later. Listening for the next new word, and watching out for that first step, observing the progression.

I love this boy, and as time goes by, like him that love will grow and grow. And grow.

6 comments:

  1. Noah is ADORABLE!! and Maddy is growing up too fast! Give them a BIG hug and kiss for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's delicious and this post was a treat to read. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous little man!

    Yes, I am hearing you on the second child buisness. Our little man was always in my arms or on the breast but gone were the days of being able to spend all day on the floor, admiring hum like I did when his big sister was a babe! And as if that's not fair enough, the second babe seems to grow soooo much faster!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear you.

    I still feel like my youngest grew up into a four year old without me having time to notice.

    But despite that, I could not love her more.

    Your boy is ADORABLE.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely understand how you feel about the second - Mr3 is just trucking along behind, so much more grown up than the first in some ways, and in others much more a baby. It's amazing how the heart splits to accommodate each child, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for your beautiful comments. I still think that my second born child grew up without much help. He is definitely much more independent and grown up. Perhaps survival of the fittest? Yes, I think that's part of it... and your heart, it does accommodate each and every child - it doubles!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your thoughtful and positive words and taking the time to comment. Love Kymmie. xx