Friday, October 18, 2013

SOLO DATE: THE WHARF LOCAVORE.


As part of my solitary road trip last weekend, I managed to stop at some pretty amazing places along the far south coast of New South Wales. Can I tell you that it might just be one of Australia's best kept secrets? Have you seen the coastline? It's not called the Sapphire Coast for nothing. The colour of the water is simply breathtaking.

Once I knew I was doing this trip solo, I asked friends who grew up in this beautiful part of the world, what was worth stopping at. It was unanimous that I spend some time at Tathra at the historic wharf.

It was my first stop after six hours of non-stop driving from Melbourne. And it was well worth the wait. At the wharf is a huge weatherboard building which houses a coffee bar + gallery full of local contemporary paitings, sculptures, ceramics, metal, jewellery, prints and textiles. I discovered (after Googling it, of course) that a locavore is a person interested in eating food that is locally produced, not moved long distances to market. So it would makes sense that everything here is made right in Tathra.

The service was excellent, and after chatting with the owner for a bit, I was excited to see that everything was vegetarian. I could take my pick straight off the menu which is such a rarity! The food was amazing including the side salad complete with tangelos and strawberries, and orange infused dressing, plus one of the best vanilla slices I've ever had the pleasure of eating.

My favourite part? Sitting on a hessian bag on the floor at an open window in the cafe with the sea breeze on my face, watching visitors come and go, and keen fisherman throwing their lines into the rich blue-green water. I didn't want to leave.

I VISITED The Wharf Locavore | Wharf Road, Tathra NSW 2550 | 0427 941 747
Do you do eat out alone sometimes?

Thanks so much for stopping by for a virtual cuppa on the Sapphire Coast! For the whole Lad Date series, visit here.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your thoughtful and positive words and taking the time to comment. Love Kymmie. xx