Wednesday, November 09, 2011

EAT: ZUCCHINI CAKE WITH LEMON HONEY DRIZZLE


SERVES 10-12 | PREP 15 MINS | COOKING 50 MINS | VEGETARIAN, DAIRY FREE

In a recent bake-a-thon, I thought I'd try this seeing I had zucchinis that had to be eaten. Sometimes the most disgusting sounding recipes turn out quite moist and tasty. Definitely a more heavy cake, but filling and filled with goodness! I dropped the sugar level and it was still sweet enough (mind you, I'm not eating sugar, so anything 'a bit' sweet is really sweet to me!). I love the drizzle on the top. Made this moist cake even more tasty!

Hubby loves this with cream, but I had mine with cashew cream. Delish!

INGREDIENTS
70g walnuts (I used pecans)
100g dates
210g zucchini, roughly chopped
100g sultanas
2 eggs
110g oil
150g raw sugar
cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
210 self raising flour

METHOD
1 Preheat oven to 170 degrees celcius and lightly grease a cake tin.
2 Place nuts into food processor until finely ground. Set aside.
3 Place dates into food processor until a chunky paste. Add to bowl with nuts.
4 Place zucchini into food processor until finely grated and add to the bowl.
5 Mix into the bowl the remaining ingredients until mixed well.
6 Pour cake mix into prepared tin and place in the oven for 40 minutes or until golden brown.

While still warm, pierce the cake with a skewer and pour a mixture of 1/2 oil (I use grapeseed), lemon peel and juice from one lemon and honey.


4 comments:

  1. Oh what a unique invention, I'd definitely give this a try Kymmie. I do like the idea of a dollop of cream or ice-cream with it too ;o) Thanks for sharing hun xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kind of cake and YES to the dollop of cream and or ice-cream ;]

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH Yum! that looks delish! well done

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's different. I've heard zucchini are good with chocolate too, however, I've just read back to see why you're not eating sugar and that's very interesting.

    It's true- when you cut down on sugar it seems to heighten the ability of your tastbuds [she says, eating a doughnut]

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your thoughtful and positive words and taking the time to comment. Love Kymmie. xx