Tuesday, November 15, 2011

EAT: CHEESE + HERB DAMPER WITH HONEY MUSTARD BUTTER


SERVES 6-8 | PREP 5 MINS | COOKING 30 MINS | VEGETARIAN

It's always wonderful to rediscover a recipe you haven't used for a while. I made this quite a bit when we lived in PNG because I always had the ingredients in the pantry. This damper is an awesome addition to any meal, and the mustard honey butter really makes it.


At our recent Food Club, I found this recipe in my list of old favourites, and thought, why not? You see, the theme was Food For Gifts. We had one for the table to eat, and another packaged up to give as a gift to fellow foodie. It was a fabulous idea (and fabulous inspiration for the lead up to Christmas)!


I made a big one for our meal, and then a mini-version in a basket with a small jar of the mustard honey butter.



So, here it is. And it's so easy too.

INGREDIENTS
2 1/2 cups sr flour
2 tsp wholegrain mustard
50g butter
70g tasty cheese, grated
1/3 cup herbs (chives, parsley, dill)
1 cup milk

METHOD
1 Preheat moderate oven. Line baking tray with paper. Process flour, mustard, salt and butter until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Transfer to large bowl.
2 Stir in cheese and herbs. Make well in centre and add milk and mix with knife until mixture comes together. Add milk if required. Do not over mix or mixture will be tough.
3 Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth. Shape into disc. Place on baking tray. Using a knife, score lines about 1cm deep on top of damper to divide into 6 or 8. Bake for 30 minutes or until skewer inserted comes out clean.
4 To make mustard honey butter mix 125g softened butter, 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard, 2 tbsp honey until combined.

This platter is delicious served with antipasto ingredients on a giant wooden chopping board. Very rustic. And delicious!

15 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness I want some right now! That looks delicious!!! Thanks for sharing! I love mustard in recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi gorgeous

    Def trying this recipe! Photo's make my mouth water!


    Hugs

    Kimmie
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. My not yet eaten tummy is seriously rumbling now...this looks so good, I reckon I could devour the lot :)

    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yum! Thanks for sharing - will definitely have to try this one!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks delicious. Could you post the details of your food club one day? The general rules you follow, I am keen to start one of my own.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks delicious. Could you post the details of your food club one day? The general rules you follow, I am keen to start one of my own.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks yummy. I am definitely going to have to try this

    ReplyDelete
  8. Drool...it looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. printing it off as i type - will make it asap, my husband will love it...no i will love it...wait the kids will love it - oh we will all love it!!! thanks so much for sharing xxxxxx

    hope all is lovely and wonderful in your world xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Vanessa! You can click on the Food Club word and it will take you to the link about what we do. No wait. I can be more specific if you like!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. You ARE a domestic goddess, I LOVE the look of this damper and mustard honey butter!? Oh my, that just sounds heavenly. Thank you so much for sharing... love this recipe sharing stuff :o) xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. OK that's it. I am coming over!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooooh, that'd go down a treat here in Geneva now that the weather's less than double digits!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's so funny reading your recipes, Kymmie, because you use grams - I'd have to figure out how to convert it into cups! It sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Now thats a food gift I will be def happy to receive. thanks for sharing. I'll try it out soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your thoughtful and positive words and taking the time to comment. Love Kymmie. xx