Wednesday, March 20, 2013

EAT: SWEET CHILLI MANGO TOFU WITH COUSCOUS


SERVES 4 | PREP 10 MINS | COOKING 20 MINS | VEGAN, VEGETARIAN, GLUTEN FREE

This dish reminds me of my single days. My very cool flatmate Art invented this recipe, and I use to love it when it was his night to cook. I hardly make it these days, but while we're renovating, it's easy enough to whip together in a few minutes, and besides, my husband also loves it. He often ask me why I don't make it more often. And now I remember how easy and tasty it is, I'm wondering the same thing!
INGREDIENTS
2 packets Malaysian style tofu, cut into cubes
1 onion, sliced into quarters
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 red capsicum, sliced thinly
1 green capsicum, sliced thinly
1 small zucchini, sliced into quarters
1 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
3 tbsp mango chutney (I use mild these days)
1 cup couscous
2-3 cups water
Salt, to taste

METHOD
1 Fry onion, garlic and capsicum in a heavy fry pan with little oil until soft.
2 Add zucchini and sauces and fry for a few more minutes.
3 While the onion mixture is cooking, in a small saucepan, bring the salted water to the boil. Once it is boiling, add couscous, cover with the saucepan lid, and then turn off the heat. Steam for five minutes.
4 Add tofu to the onion mixture and heat through for two minutes.
5 Fluff up the couscous with a fork and serve immediately with the sweet chilli mango tofu.



Do you have a recipe that you've made up? What is your 'go to' recipe?

5 comments:

  1. yummo! my go to recipe is basically a pastry-less quiche with whatever veg I have in the fridge! Oh happy days to you xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yum! I love pastry free quiches! A great idea to get rid of leftover veggies in te fridge. Wish my husband could eat eggs. I would make quiche more often too!

      Delete
  2. Oh, wow. I could virtually taste this before I was even halfway through the title! I made this every few weeks for YEARS. So easy and so good ... and just the right amount of sentimental. Thanks for the reminder. I reckon this will be on our table before the week is out. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to remember an old favourite! So many good memories in this dish, yes? By the way, ange and art had a baby girl three weeks' back. Thought you might like to know ;) happy tofu eating sweet girl! X

      Delete
  3. Heck yeah, I am making this! It sounds sooooooo yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your thoughtful and positive words and taking the time to comment. Love Kymmie. xx