Monday, September 23, 2013

ARE YOU SURROUNDED BY A VILLAGE?


Have you ever considered what might happen to your children should something ever happen to you?

While I am proudly a self-proclaimed Pollyanna, sometimes I have thoughts that don't qualify for The Glad Game. On the odd occasion, I have woken up in the middle of the night in cold sweats as a result of a bad dream involving losing your child, while watching the news can make me sob. Motherhood changes you more than you ever thought, and make you more vulnerable that you ever imagined.

As a result, my thoughts turn to what would happen to my children if something were to happen to me. (Stay with me, it's not all gloom and doom over here. Just some thoughts that perhaps you've considered too.)

I'm blessed with a village. A network of wonderful family and friends. I know that they would look after my children as I do. And that's not all. I have aunts and uncles that aren't even biological. All over the world. And the best kind of friend: a spare parent or two. Or Sparents, as I've heard them been called before.

Last week we visited the Tesselaar Tulip Festival with one of my best friends, Lindy (it was a beautiful day). My boys not only like her, they adore her. They can't wait until she visits, and every moment she is with us, they are spoilt with attention, wise words* and cuddles. She's the parent I'd like to be. All. The. Time. She's the girl I'd pick for my husband if I was no longer here. Should anything happen to me, I know that my lads would be in good hands if she was in their life.

I'm not wishing my life away (goodness knows, I don't want to miss a minute of my children growing up!), but I know that if things were grim, my children would be safe and secure with my village.

* I'm sure Lindy could advise my children about running over the tulip rows better than I did.

Do you have a village of carers for your children? Do you have any sparents in your children's life?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your thoughtful and positive words and taking the time to comment. Love Kymmie. xx