Tuesday, September 14, 2010

l is for listening, l is for letting go

Listening: Not always possible, but it's worth trying to stop what you are doing sometimes and really listen to what your children are saying. It's also for letting go and not trying to control or insulate their environments too much.


You'd think that doing the dishes would be so mundane that talking with your children would distract you from this horrible, horrible task.

But it's sad to admit that sometimes I get lost in the bubbles and dish gloves, nod my head and say, "uh huh" (while thinking that doing dishes is the worst job in the world) while my son is sharing his every thought with me.

And when I say it out loud like that, I know I ought to listen more. Because a day will come when he won't want to share much with me at all. I might have to squeeze the information out like a questionnaire or even more military style questioning.

But if I make an effort to listen - to really, really listen - I'm never disappointed.

Do you find it easy to listen to your children? Do you find yourself zoning out? Or do you cherish every word?

The A-Z of Parenting Tips were inspired by this article in the Courier Mail.

1 comment:

  1. A timely reminder, Kymmie. Max said to me the other day that "Daddy gives better answers than you do" and I realised it was because I often say "I don't know" rather than answer his questions about life, the universe and everything. NO more! I'm listening attentively to every word now and coming up with some fabulous answers. I feel much better. x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your thoughtful and positive words and taking the time to comment. Love Kymmie. xx