Sunday, April 11, 2010

day eleven | what goes up...

Noah has taken to climbing.

I guess that's completely natural and normal, seeing he's on his Inaugural World Discovery Tour. And that's what a 10-month old boy does. He works out his limits by climbing, and then takes the steps to see what happens next.

As an adult, it's very interesting watching a child learn, as we've already experienced it and we usually know our limits and the consequences if we overstep our boundaries. We usually can predict the very immediate future quickly if we hadn't worked it out earlier.

But with babies, it takes a little longer. In my mind's eye, this is how the conversation might go in Noah's head. That is, if he knew how to construct words, sentences, and knew what things were called:

"I want that plate. Oooh, a chair. I want that plate. Maybe if I... just... get... up... here...

"Damn! I can't reach that plate.

"I want to open that drawer. Let me just reach over there... and... get... that... drawer...

"Doh! I can't reach that drawer.

"I want that glass on the table. I'll just...

"Woah! I can't do that either.

"There doesn't seem to be anything else I want up here.  I'll just... get.. down... from... here...

"Oh.

"How do I do that?"

As I said, it takes a little longer...

1 comment:

  1. I can hear that little conversation in his head! So cute!! Love the pic as well.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your thoughtful and positive words and taking the time to comment. Love Kymmie. xx