Friday, June 11, 2010

lesson eleven | every day is groundhog day

"What would you do if you were stuck in one place and every day was exactly the same?" – Phil Connors, Groundhog Day


I love the movie "Groundhog Day". It's a story about a grumpy weatherman who finds himself living the same day in perpetuity and has no idea how to reverse it. And it's the worst day of his life over, and over, and over again.

Like "Groundhog Day", there are lots of insignificant things that happen in my day, that also happen the next day, and the next day and the next...

Like opening all the curtains first thing in the morning. And closing them all again at night. Making every bed with all those pillows (probably 5 minutes in my day that I don't get back, but they look so awfully pretty). Changing nappies. Putting toys away. Picking up Noah and taking him out of the bathroom. Putting everything back into the bathroom cabinet drawer. Putting everything back that has been taken out of the bathroom cabinet cupboard. Asking Noah to stop playing with the toilet brush (what is it with the toilet brush?). Asking Noah to stop going into the bathroom. (Why doesn't anyone close the bathroom door?)

And...

Picking up the tins and food packets that have been taken out of the pantry, moving things out of reach on the dining room table, moving everything 10cm in on every table surface in every room. Closing cupboards that have been opened by curious fingers.

Again. Again. And again.

To say that it tests and tries my patience is an understatement. And the simplest chores are the most frustrating.

Like getting dressed for example. I have chosen clothes. I have everything I need. But has the child stayed in close proximity to get dressed? Has the child taken his pyjamas off? Has the child done anything I have asked him?

I'm not perfect. In fact, I'm far from it. And just like in the movie, I change my tact, I change my response, I try to do avoid it, and sometimes I just give up (it hasn't been the first time that my children have worn pyjamas for the whole day).

Every time I am down or losing perspective, this is the movie that eases everything and makes me ask a simple question, "What is really important?".

And as a friend quoted 'Purple Butterfly': "Someday you'll look around and realise that all those little moments were really the big ones."

It couldn't be more true.

3 comments:

  1. It's only that you are doing it again, reminds you that you only did the same yesterday. And as time flies by, and the kids do different things you wont remember. Im sure before you know it, You will be telling Noah and Madi to put the toilet seat down everyday or to pick up his clothes off the floor like every boy! Sorry!that didnt make you feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was reading about this when I went to bed last night. I also get down about having to do the same things over and over again. The kids stuff doesn't seem to bother me so much, but it's the house stuff that gets to me. The fact that no matter how much washing I do, I always have to do it again. I leave the kitchen sparkling clean and less than an hour later it's needing to be cleaned again (I never have a clean kitchen though!). I feel the same as you, that I am always doing the same things over and over again. But last night I was reading about how our calling as mothers is to do just those things, its a way of serving our family. The author also explained to think of it as serving our family as if we are serving Jesus, as it is like that. And once we get that new perspective of serving Jesus, we want to do a perfect job so it doesn't seem such a drain. So, today, I am going to serve my family as if I am serving Jesus.
    Sorry if I waffled a bit there, but I thought that what I read applied to what you had posted about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so good Dannii. And SO true! I think sometimes that I'm going to go crazy doing the same things over and over again. But I know it makes a difference, and it makes a difference as to how we respond to it too. I think by loving what we do and not complaining makes an awfully big different to the family, and to let them know that I do it all because I love them. And Him too :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your thoughtful and positive words and taking the time to comment. Love Kymmie. xx